Goodbyes Are Hard

Today was definitely the best, yet most difficult, day of our trip so far. It was the last day of our camp in Pingtung (a city in southern Taiwan) and we had to say goodbye to all of the students and host families we spent the last five days with. I have never seen so many people cry or say "I love you" when saying goodbye. Even though we only spent a few days with these students, we created really strong bonds of friendships with each other. The first two days were spent doing presentations, news conferences, and MANY crazy songs and dances (they love the chicken dance). I had opportunities to share my faith in almost every group discussion because the topics talked, such as family, marriage, and blessings, always seemed to connect back to my own faith. My group seemed very open to hearing about my life as a Christian. On the third day we went on a tour of a solar power plant and on the fourth day we traveled to Kenting National Park and went to the beach! Of course, most Taiwanese people do not like getting a tan, so none of them brought bathing suits...but we convinced almost everyone to go in the water regardless, and it was a blast! :)

During the Pingtung camp, I was a part of Group 6 and we called ourselves the "cool catz." At first, the five students in my group were very shy, but as they began to open up, I got to know them very quickly. Lizzy and Michelle were extremely kind and always willing to talk and explain things when other people were confused. Eric was really funny and could quickly lighten the mood by talking about his "unique" eyebrows or sausages...haha. Petty mostly listened and observed because she did not know much English, and she had a beautiful smile. Lisbon was a kind and gentle soul, he was soft-spoken and very considerate of other people, and was also a great listener. During the closing ceremony, I could not stop crying as they gave me gifts and told me they loved me, and I knew then that they had stolen my heart. I asked if I could pray for them during our last group discussion and they eagerly said yes...I could feel God's Spirit moving, and I hope that He revealed himself to them in that place.

I also had an AMAZING host family while we were in Pingtung. The Tong family was such a blessing to me! I felt extremely welcomed in their home and it seemed like I fit right in with the family! The parents, David and Megan, and all three kids--Ariel, Samuel, and Rebecca--are Christians. I can only imagine how difficult it can be for them at times because only 2% of the population in Pingtung are Christians. I enjoyed every meal, conversation, and shopping trip I had with this family and I will never forget their hospitality. My host sister Ariel was one of the students and she was such a funny and bright young girl...I know that God is going to use her in many ways. 

God has worked in so many ways during this past week, and I am so thankful that He is guiding our words and our paths. I cannot wait to see what He will do in this beautiful country as we continue on. I will always cherish the memories that I made with the Pingtung students and I hope that I will see them all again someday--whether its on this earth or in heaven with my wonderful Savior :)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankfulness

Finding Rest in Him

Some Thoughts on Bilingual Education